Friday, March 9, 2012

True Grit

True GritTrue Grit by Charles Portis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Westerns are generally not my genra of choice but after starting this book I found it very hard to put down. The story is told from the point of view of Mattie as she looks back upon her life. She is an old woman remembering a life changing experience. When she was 14 her father was killed in Fort Smith Arkansas by his hired hand for a few dollars and his horse and she hires Rooster Cogburn to bring him to justice. They are joined by a Texas Ranger, LaBeouf, who has been on the trail of Cheney. The story is told in an easy, fluid way that keeps you interested and carries you along quickly thru the book. Mattie isn't your typical damsel in distress that is generally portrayed in westerns. She is only 14 but is a strong character that holds her own and demands to be taken seriously and this really adds alot to the story. She is very pro-active in the adventure that they have undertaken. Without her things would have ended quite differently.

One thing that made this book particularly interesting to me was the location this book was set. Much of it took place in Fort Smith Arkansas and surrounding areas which is practically in my back yard.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Certainly much more than I expected to since I'm generally not fond of westerns. I kept hearing great things about it and I'm very glad I decided to give it a chance.



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy this type of book, and love your thoughts on it, adding to my wishlist:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this book listed on booksfreeswap.com to be passed on to a good home.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...