Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day!!

In honor of Earth Day I pulled this review out of the archives as it is a perfect look at how we affect our planet. The World Without UsThe World Without Us by Alan Weisman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a wonderful book. It is so interesting to see what would happen if for some reason humans suddenly vanished from the planet. You realize how nature takes back the spaces that we invade. And you come to think about the footprint that we leave behind. Everything from plastics that never degrade to nuclear power plants that need us to take care of byproducts, this book covers it all. There are no religious or hypothetical speculation as to why everybody vanishes it only deals with what would happen if we were no longer here. What would happen to our pets? or domesticated livestock? What about vermin that live in the cities that we keep under control? It also looks at manmade structures that need constant upkeep like our bridges and highway systems. It really makes you think about the impact that humans have had on our planet. An awesome book that is perfect for Earth Day or any day.

View all my reviews I hope everyone has a happy Earth Day and remember: Reduce, Re-use, and Recycle

4 comments:

  1. I think, all things would go back into balance. It is an interesting concept, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, and essentially that was alluded to in this book. Nature reclaimed that which we changed.

      Delete
  2. I actually saw a show on the Discovery channel that covered this topic, it was very interesting. Just stopped on by from book blogs and am your latest follower.

    ~Delia
    Wolf Majick Reviews
    ttp://www.wolfmajick.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I recall the show that you are talking about and I too thought it was really interesting. I think it was based around this book but I can't be positive about that. Thanks for following me, I'll check our your blog.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...