Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I expected to enjoy this more than I did, I guess because of all the hype surrounded it. If I could give half stars I would give 3.5 because I liked the characters so well. Its an interesting premisis that sometime in the future after the fall of our country as we know it that the gladiator type games of the Romans will be resurrected. Humanity does have a thing for bloodlust from those days to the days of public executions people seem to want a show out of watching people die. But it seems like things in the Hunger Games world was so mismatched. How could a small 12yr old girl hope to compete with a much larger older teen? And why would anybody want to see it? It just seems so brutal. And the districts seem more like a communist state than part of this country, but I guess the way the rich stay rich and get richer has always been by keeping the poor down and in their place. Its all about conrol of the masses. Ok, down off my soapbox. As for the characters, they were believeable and endearing and I even tho the story was told primarly from the point of view of Katniss I tended to like all of the characters. I will probably finish this series altho I've heard that the last one could have been better. Overall, I thought it was a good read.



View all my reviews

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the movie (or read the books yet!) but I just read an article where Suzanne Collins said she got the idea for writing these books because she had insomnia and was watching a lot of TV alone which was mostly the History Channel and Reality TV and the lines eventually became blurred.... I thought that was really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrissi, its nice to know I'm not the last one to have read this series. And actually I'm not sure I'm gonna finish it, am still thinking about it since I didn't like this one as well as expected. I can see where she got the idea from history and reality tv lol. Thanks for sharing that, I hadn't heard it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting to read the comments and find out where Suzanne Collins got the idea for the series. I read The Hunger Games recently and I really enjoyed it. With all of the weird things people have watched in history- it seemed believable to me (but still terrible). Not every book is for everyone! I like the 2nd book the best, but I know other people who only liked the first. :) I enjoyed reading your post about the book- it made me think!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really haven't heard alot about the second book, only the first and the last. Hearing that you liked the second one so well makes me consider continuing with this trilogy. And you're right, there has been alot of brutal sports that people have watched in history, so I can see that it would be plausible but sad just the same.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...