Sunday, May 6, 2012

Children's Book Week

May 7-13 is designated as Children's Book Week and I thought I would take this opportunity to recommend a few books that are great for kids or those of us that are kids at heart.

Too Many CursesToo Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was probably one of the most enjoyable, fun reads that I have read in quite some time. Nessy is a kobold (similar to a dog but with human intelligence) who's job is to tend the castle of the evil wizard Margle. Margle's castle is full of beings under strange curses that require full time attention. One day Margle meets an unusual fate and Nessy is left to take charge of things. This was a quick fun read that was full of silliness and humor and characters that touch the heart. Nessy is small but she shows that its not always size that makes the hero and that even the smallest of us can make a difference. I would recommend this to anyone that needs a good laugh, enjoys a fun read, or is generally a kid at heart. Loved it and shall keep this to read again sometime.



View all my reviews


The Black Book of Secrets (Tales From The Sinister City, #1)The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was an intriguing little book that I quite enjoyed. Written for the younger end of the spectrum of young adult or even for those of us that are young at heart, most anyone will enjoy this one. There is much that even though set in the past is relevent to today. We see, as is true in life, that we all have done things that we aren't proud of. Everyone has things in their past that they don't want others to know about. And this doesn't make them bad people, only human. Even those people that are prominent citizens or little old ladies that own book shops are not perfect. This was a fun book full of all kinds of characters and their very own secrets that we learn along the way. Am hoping there is more to come from the Secret Pawnbrokers.



View all my reviews


The Inquisitor's ApprenticeThe Inquisitor's Apprentice by Chris Moriarty

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I received my copy thru Firstread and I appreciate getting the opportunity to review it.

This was such a fun read! Sacha is a Jewish boy living in a New York where magic is the norm and he has discovered that he can see magic. Recruited by the police department that works against magical crime he finds himself embroiled in a mystery that could result in his demise or worse. This book is full of interesting characters, fun history and unusual sci-fiction. It definitely draws you in from the begining and keeps you hanging on every word. The ending definitely leaves room for a sequel and I certainly hope that there is one.



View all my reviews


What are your favorite reads to share with the kids in your life or to enjoy when you are feeling like a kid at heart?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...