Monday, December 17, 2012

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter




3 out of 5 stars

Alice in Zombieland is about a girl named Alice "Ali" Bell, whose life changes in the blink of an eye on the night her family died.  Not only does Ali loose her family but she also discovers that her fathers worst nightmares are real.  Ali is forced to rely on, the violet eyed bad boy, Cole and his gang of misfits, if she wants to survive the zombie attacks.

When most people think about zombies, they think about the rotting flesh, the "zombie limp", the virus that has whipped out most of the human race, and then there is also the fact that the zombies are humans who have died and then been reanimated by a virus.  Most people don't think about zombies being a spiritual creature that feeds on the souls of the living. How about how zombies are to be killed?  Personally, my first thought is a shotgun blast to the head.  After all, everyone knows you have to destroy the brain to kill the virus.  In Alice in Zombieland, the zombies can only be killed by "faith".  (That's all I can say about that without giving away any spoilers)

Also, the majority of the book was set in the local high school. (Go Tigers!) I read a lot of teenage and young adult novels, and realize that most books are at least partially set in a high school setting, to make the reads relate to the characters in the book.  However, I really feel that having the book set most in the high school is a bit much.  It takes away from the action and has a lot of unnecessary chatter that is unrelated to anything in the story.

Ali's interactions with Cole, were interesting to me.  I felt like it was a fresh twist on romance in teen books.  I haven't read many books that used psychic visions to build a connection between the characters when they had never even met.  I'm interested to know what happens between Cole and Ali.  

As most of you guys know there is nothing that makes me literarily happy, then to sit down with a zombie book and put in my ear buds, crank up the heavy metal and smash some literary zombie brains. That's what I expected when I requested Alice in Zombieland for my birthday.  Sadly, I was slightly let down.  I'd recommend Alice in Zombieland to anyone who likes mild supernatural books, with a romantic twist.

On a side note, I would like to note that I looked this book up on barnsandnoble.com before I requested it for my birthday.  The summary online said that it was a dark twist on the original Alice in Wonderland but with zombies.  That was not anything close to what happened in Alice in Zombieland.  So if you are planning on reading this book, I'd recommend that you do more research before just downloading this book from Barnes & Noble.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...