Monday, April 1, 2013

Humor In The Story

Humor in the Story
Rachel Carrington
 
 

I try to infuse humor in all my stories. It can be a bit difficult when I'm writing a thriller, but I can usually toss in a line or two that brings a chuckle. Fortunately, when I wrote Waking Up Immortal, it was written in the heroine's point of view, and she was naturally snarky. So my sarcastic sense of humor had a field day with that one.

My most recent book, Extreme Measures, didn't have as much laughs as it was dark suspense, and whenever I finish writing one of those books, I'm almost desperate to write something light-hearted. As much as I love writing romantic suspense and thrillers, I have to take a break in between them so I can let some of my personality out.

If you've read my Vampires Destined series, you'll know those are chock full of one-liners, and I'm happy to say that the narrators for the audio books really captured the humor as did the narrator for Waking Up Immortal. She had me snorting with laughter with the way she brought Chloe to life. (I wasn't laughing so much at the line as I was her portrayal of the character. Didn't want you to think I enjoy my own stuff too much. LOL)

If you watch Criminal Minds you know they toss in a one liner every now and then, and Garcia brings a refreshing change to the darkness of the hour. So I know it can be done. Just not sure I've figured it out yet. What's your take on humor in thrillers and suspense books?

About Me

I started writing years ago, and my first attempt was a contemporary romance that will never see the light of day. I think I may even have thrown it away by now. It was absolutely horrific as I knew nothing about well…anything to do with writing.
After that, I started writing fantasy romances about wizards and wizards, and once those took off, I segued to paranormal romances (hello, vampires and ghosts) and romantic suspense. I also write articles for various magazines, including The Writer’s Journal, Writer’s Magazine, Writer’s Weekly, Writing for Dollars, Absolute Write, and Funds for Writers.
I’m fortunate to make my home in historical Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city. Beautiful people. When I’m not writing, I love to read, create videos, keep Target in business, play visitor in my city, and drink lots of coffee.

You can find me all over the internet, but here are just a few of the places:
My website: www.dawnrachel.com
Twitter@rcarrington2004
Facebook: rachelcarringtonwrites
Pinterest: rcarrington2004
Goodreads: rcarrington2004
Wattpad






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...