Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Creatura

CreaturaCreatura by Nely Cab

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I've noticed something about the reviews for this book. Everybody seems to either love it or hate it. I'm a rare breed that would rate this somewhere in the middle. I would give this one 3.5 stars but feeling generous I rounded up instead of down. Its a nice read with a cliffhanger ending, but there were a few things I didn't like about it.

Isis is 17 and suffers from insomnia because a creature in a re-occuring nightmare is keeping her up. Soon she realizes that he's real and in the real world he's not scarey after all. David is the boy from her nightmare that soon falls in love with Isis despite warnings that they can never be together. Isis starts out as a strong female character that had recently broken up with a long time boyfriend who is only interested in keeping her grades up and going to college. But when David comes along some of that changes. She finds out that she's not who she thought she was and wonders about her future. But she still wishes to have a normal life somehow.

Much of the book is a sappy love story complete with poetry (I admit, I skipped over it). And a strange twist on the paranormal with demons and creatura. And while I admit it's important to stress abstinence, the author really beats you over the head with this idea. The character of Isis was a bit too forgiving to be even close to realistic. Someone tries to kill her and she's like ok just don't do it again.

Overall, it was a fun story. A little to sappy for my tastes but I still enjoyed it. The twist at the very ending was a bit unexpected and I am definitely curious to see where this is going. If you enjoy YA/PR and sappy teen love stories then you should pick this one up.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...