Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sunkissed






Blurb:

Dawn Summers is dying. It’s 1853 and as the seventeen year old continues to fade away she has visions of the father she never knew, urging her to fight for her life.

In the small village of Fandova the only medical care is in the form of the mysterious Dr. Moralus who has a known penchant for bloodletting. Thomas, Dawn's fiancé, is warned against inviting his intervention, but feels he has no choice, he pleads with the doctor to save Dawn’s life…whatever it takes.

Whatever it ‘takes’ has some consequences neither of them expected. Now, it’s a hunt to the death, with both Dawn and Thomas determined to win.



Excerpt:

But now the words resurfaced and Dawn tried to swat them away from her thoughts as though they were a fly disturbing her space. She didn’t want to think that she had become her father, but she had no choice. Perhaps he had faced similar challenges. Had he been…

‘Vampire?’ Dawn spoke the word aloud as she mulled over the theory. But it made no sense. Vampires were hunters, killers, not lovers. She doubted they could even reproduce.

Whatever her father had been, she was about to follow his example which she had always been encouraged to ignore. She turned her head briefly towards her house where Thomas lay sleeping on the floor, her hair still dancing madly around her head resembling a black halo.

Leaving Fandova meant that she was severing the last contact she had. Decisively, Dawn now looked to the East, her eyes wide with both fear and purpose. She stood away from the wall of the well and then she ran. In less than a second she was gone and only the dust from her exit was evidence that she had ever been there.

For three whole days and nights Dawn ran, never once looking back. She knew that whatever happened, Thomas must never find her.



About this author


Carys Jones was born in Shropshire, England. She displayed a passion for writing from a young age, spending her time creating short stories and poems. Carys later went on to study Creative Writing at University level. Her first book, Not All Stars Sparkle, was released in October 2010 and was a finalist for The People's Book Prize 2013.

Her second novel, Sunkissed, was released in Autumn 2013.


 You can find me on Twitter; @tiny_dancer85 and on facebook; https://www.facebook.com/CarysJonesWriter

For more information about Carys please visit www.carys-jones.com


Cary's Jones Top Ten Books
 
 
Like most writers, I am also an avid reader though I am shamed to admit a very slow one! It can usually take me around three months to read a book, which is roughly the same amount of time I need to write one!
 
My favourite genre to read is easily Young Adult. I’m forever young at heart and I think that there is something magical about finding your first love as it can so be so intense and exhilarating.
 
I wanted to share with you my Top Ten favourite books. These are books which I have read and loved over the years, there are no numbers as I couldn’t possible pick a favourite from amongst them!
 
·         The Little House on The Prairie – Laura Ingalls Wilder
 
Growing up, this was always my favourite book. I loved how it transported me from my small bedroom in rainy England to the open plains of America.
 
·         The Fault in Our Stars – John Green
 
I recently read this when I was away on holiday. I’m a big John Green fan and was really excited to read his latest book but it perhaps wasn’t the best choice for a vacation as it’s such an emotional story which often left me weeping beside the pool as I read it!
 
·         Flowers in the Attic – Virginia Andrews
 
This book was recommended to me by a friend and it is so hauntingly beautiful and unusual. A tragic horror story about the cruelty people can inflict upon others which will stay with you long after you’ve finished reading it.
 
·         Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
 
What I’ve always found interesting about this book is that it was written by a man! The female perspective is so deftly portrayed that it really surprised me! A very interesting story which draws you in. It also has a beautiful film adaptation.
 
·         The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold
 
This story has an interesting pretence as the central character is already dead and watching the fallout her family experience in the wake of her murder. Highly original and extremely well written.
 
·         The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – C S Lewis
 
This is my favourite of the Narnia series; I used to reread it all the time growing up!
 
·         The Baby-Sitter – R.L.Stine
 
I read this book in a day when I was younger. It was my first taste of horror and got me hooked on the Point Horror series, I used to buy a new book from the series a week I was addicted!
 
·         The Thirteenth Tale – Diane Setterfield
 
A slow story to develop but it is really satisfying once you get in to it.
 
·         Let the Right One In – John Lindqvist
 
This is a modern vampire thriller where the central focus of the story is on the unlikely friendship between a young boy and a girl who is a vampire. It is heartbreakingly bittersweet and completely captivating.
 
·         Ballet Shoes – Noel Streatfeild
 
Growing up, my second love to writing was ballet. I loved this story because it was about little girls fulfilling their dreams against all odds. Very inspirational.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...