Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Godfather

The GodfatherThe Godfather by Mario Puzo

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The Godfather is the epitome of Mafia fiction. We all know the story and most have seen the movie. (I confess I haven't, but its on my list of things to do). I first read this book many years ago, when I probably wasn't mature enough to really appreciate it. After running across an old paperback copy I couldn't resist re-reading it.

I love the world this tale has brought to life. The old mafia Dons and all that goes with it. While its true that women are not given much part in this world we should remember the time frame that this book is set in. Michael's wife Kay is the strongest female character in the entire book. She is the one that asks questions that maybe she shouldn't and even Michael says he loves her for her intelligence.

This is a book that has made it on many lists of must reads. I agree that its one of those books that everyone should read. The world and its characters are very real and flawed. No one in it, including the Godfather, is perfect. They live and they die, they make mistakes, and they fall in love. Their friendships are everything. They are all bad guys but you don't see them as such. Any war has casualties and death and this one is no exception. The action keeps you on the edge of your seat. And all that goes into this book makes it one that's hard to put down from the very first page.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...