Thursday, May 15, 2014

Flint and Silver

Flint and Silver: A Prequel to Treasure IslandFlint and Silver: A Prequel to Treasure Island by John Drake

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is the second time I've read this one, and I think I liked it more this time around. A prequel to Stevenson's Treasure Island, it seeks to put a backstory to the adventure we loved so well. But its certainly no children's tale as we find out the history between Long John Silver and Captain Flint and answers to many questions we had about favorite characters.

I love the characters that are brought to life in this story along side Long John and Flint. We meet characters such as Billy Bones, Ben Gunn, Black Dog and of course Selena. Many questions are answered such as how did Long John loose the leg as well as where did the parrot come from.

My biggest complaint about the book was the timeline. The story kept shifting back and forth in time and you had to pay attention to the headings of the chapter to keep up with where you were.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story and I look forward to continuing with Pieces of Eight. If you like a good pirate tale and/or enjoyed Treasure Island, I would suggest you give this one a try.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...