Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Mortal Danger

Mortal Danger (Immortal Game, #1)Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


There were things I liked and things I didn't like about this read. Making it meh on the rating scale.

Edie is a girl that has been bullied for years. Her parents are nerdy and have been no help in the matter and Edie is at the end of her rope. She's done her research and is preparing to commit suicide when she is stopped by a gorgeous guy and made a Faustian offer that she can't refuse. A great premise that goes awry from there. Edie wishes to be made beautiful so that she can get back at the Teflon group at school. Wait....what? ..... Yep, beauty will be the answer to all her problems and turns out it is. Along with beauty she gained instant confidence and turns out she can overlook the transgressions of the bullies. (And actually what they did to her would have been a prosecutable offense.)


The love affair with stalker Kian is somewhat believable. After all, they share a bond of the knowledge of what is really going on. However, my feelings toward Kian are in a gray area. I'm not so sure I believe him. I think there may be more there than Edie realizes. Her instincts are screaming and her hormone induced feelings are not listening.

The world building is interesting, too bad the plot is somewhat ify. Too much has been left unexplained. We have two "companies" that are fighting over the world. But they aren't sure why and its not really the outcome of the game that its important. Ok.... so are they just bored? or is there some other point here. And then there are all these sideline players who are interfering but again we don't really know why. The rules of the game are what? Again, no one seems to know.


Overall, I rated it meh mainly because its really shallow. Beauty doesn't solve all your problems and it doesn't make someone being mean to you ok. The Faustian contract is interesting and the world building is unique although the plot needs work. I'm hoping that some of my questions are answered in the next book and give me hope that the series will get better.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...